Land of manors
The commune embarked on this path in 2004 and obtained the label in 2005, then in 2013. In the town, the parish church has been classified as a Historic Monument since 1907. Its heterogeneous architecture testifies to its multisecular history. Between 1903 and 1905, the church was restored by Jules Morvan, an architect in Saint-Brieuc, with stones recovered from the Saint-Maudez chapel. The exact location of the discovery is not known. At first, the statue is exposed to the eyes of all, near the chapel of Saint-Mathieu. In 1887, it was transferred to the church square and then to the south porch to protect it from bad weather. It is a monolithic sculpture in granite representing the god-rider Jupiter on his horse, trampling a monster of female sex, half human, half animal, whose legs end in a snake’s tail. It can be dated to the 2nd and 3rd centuries A.D. and is therefore a remarkable element of the cultural heritage of the Gallo-Roman period in Brittany.
A few meters further down, you can follow the interpretation circuit “Au tour de Luzel” lined with interactive terminals to dive into the world of the tales and legends of Brittany collected by François Marie Luzel.